Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Food Tip: Baking Your Burgers

Enjoy perfectly juicy burgers year round.

If you asked me a month ago if it was a good idea to bake a burger I would've sat you down and had a serious conversation with you about the importance of grilling your burger and I would've made you feel stupid for asking.  But, I would have been wrong in doing so and I want to apologize for not being sensitive in our hypothetical conversation.

Burgers to me are the perfect food.  I can always count on them.  Knowing how to make a good burger is knowing how to make somebody happy.  There's a reason Americans eat 17 trillion burgers a day.  You probably believed that stat, I just made it up.

Rule one to making a good burger, preformed patties are for suckers.  If your idea of a bbq is throwing a few frozen patties on the grill you are missing out on life.  Form your own patties and never use frozen beef... ever.

The burger above is an attempt at recreating a fatburger... one of my favorites.  But, in this case, I baked the burger.

I used a half pound of beef to form the patty... with my hands... like you're supposed to.  I only use salt and pepper on my burgers.  I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and put a little cooling rack on a baking sheet.  I put the patty on the cooling rack to create space between the baking sheet and the burger.  I baked for what felt like 15 to 20 minutes, until the patties looked done.

I was very surprised at how juicy they turned out.  Try it next time weather doesn't allow you to bbq.  If you're like me burger cravings don't wait until grilling season.

No comments:

Post a Comment